The last – closing Intensive Course (IC) on the frame of the ELBYSIER project will take place in the Department of Electronic Engineering of TEI of Crete facilities. It will start on Monday the 2nd of July and its actions & activities will be terminated on Saturday the 7th of July 2018.
The topic of this closing event will contain all the thematics have presented during the previous five ICs have taken place in Romania (Organic – Graphene Electronics), Crete (Transparent Conductive Oxides), France (Bioelectronics) and Poland (Spintronics). Moreover a special session, every day, devoted in the development of soft skills that a modern scientist should have, will be among the teaching activities of the last event.
Some answers to questions that probably you will have follow:
- To which airport I should fly? You should fly to “Ioannis Daskalogiannis” International Airport of Chania. More information about facilities and services (e.g. how to reach the city center from / to the airport) within the airport, please check this link
- Can I use the public transportation to reach the city center? Yes you can. There are bus services just outside the arrival terminal hall until the 2330 hrs. Please check this link to see the bus schedule from and to the airport. The ticket can be purchased by the bus driver (prefer to have cash with you)
- How to reach the Department? 1st of all its is very convenient to know the location of the Department in the google maps: https://goo.gl/maps/rniRABrDPot. The full address is Romanou 3, Chalepa, TEI of Crete. 2nd how to reach it using the public transportation please check the following link: https://erasmus-ee.chania.teicrete.gr
- When to travel? The student should arrive in Chania on the 1st of July and depart on Sunday the 8th
- Where will we have lunches during the Intensive Course? Unfortunately the period the IC will take place is along the summer holidays of the catering services of our restaurant. The latter will be able to offer coffees and water from 1000 AM to 1400 PM. For lunches there is a special deal (5 Euros for a full dish with a salad & a soft drink) in a nearby restaurant (5 minutes walking distance) (Kouzina tis Mamas). Please click here to see the location of the restaurant
- Moreover there are other cafeterias, bakery and a souvlaki place next to the Department to have your coffee, light snacks or lunches
- Where do we have dinners during the Intensive Course? This is up to each one of you.The activities of the school will have terminated at around 1800 hrs so it is up to you or to all of us as a group where we will have dinner. Chania as a city is very famous for its restaurants. To have an idea where to eat and what in Chania, please check here or check tripadvisor
- Wi-Fi connection within the Departments Facilities: In the whole area of the Department, the eduroam facility is offered. So please use the same username and passwords you use in your home Institution; in case that your account will not be functional please use the free wifi of the school using the following credentials:Username: firstname.lastname@example.orgPassword: guestcha2017-18
- Where all the educational material will be uploaded? All the educational material and assessment tests will be uploaded into the google drive. A special link will be sent to you during until Sunday the 1st of July 2018. All the material will be electronic. There is not going to be any printed material
- The educational program can be found here
- What educational activities does the IC include? The educational activities the IC includes are (a) Students & Host University Erasmus Presentations; (b) Technical Presentations by the invited speakers; (c) Soft Skills type Presentations by the invited speakers; and (d) Journal Club Student Presentations
- What is the Journal Club Action? During the 1st day of the IC, the coordinator will split you up to 5-6 multinational groups. The coordinator will assign to each of these groups a review research paper, related to the topic of the IC, and these multi-national student teams should collaborate during the week so on Friday the 6th of July to present as a team a summary of the assigned paper. The performance of each team will be assessed by a group of academics as a function of (a) the team work during the presentation; (b) the understanding of the topic; (c) the coping on the asked questions; (d) the timing; and (e) on the quality of their material. This assessment is part of the overall students assessment at the end of the IC
- Is there a Final Exam? Yes as always. On Friday the 6th of July and before the Journal Club Action a 90 minutes final exam will take place. The objective of this exam session is to check how well the students have realized the implemented presentations during the school. The exam will have the form of multiple choice questions
- What the students have to prepare. Each group should have prepared presentations about each nation that each home University is located and the home University they come from. Each presentation should not be longer than 15 minutes. Please guys prepare something funny!!
- All the lecture sessions will be video recorded
- All the lectures will be implemented in the main lecture hall of the Department
- All the participants including students and teachers should sign next to their names after each lecture session!! This is a procedure should be followed every day!!! Failure to this will trigger difficulties to your refunding !
In order to refund as fast as possible please do not forget to:
- Sign next to your name after each lecture session
- Keep your boarding passes
- Keep your flight fare invoices and routing
- Keep the hotel invoices – issued to your name
- Please be advised for the aforementioned issues before travel to Crete by your local ELBYSIER coordinator
- During the week, the most probable on Friday afternoon, the group will visit the archeological museum in Chania. The organising committee has secured a free entrance for the ELBYSIER participants
- On Monday afternoon at 1800 and for two hours a GRAV-MAGA training – demonstration has been secured for the sport-freaks of the event. At least 10 participants should be registered in order the training to be performed – Participation fee 5 Euros per person
- Apart of the daily activities that we can propose to do together or individually, we have planned on Saturday morning (at 0630) free transportation to and from the most beautiful national park in Crete: The Samaria Gorge. To cross the gorge will take us 5 hours. At the other end we will swim in the fantastic waters, we will have traditional Cretan food and then take the Ferry to go to Sfakia village to take the bus back to Chania. The whole trip will last more than 14 hours. The IC organizing committee will secure (a) the free transportation to and from the Samaria National Park; and (b) the free entrance to the Samaria Gorge. The IC will not refund the ferry expenses (~ 15 Euros) and the lunch
- For the people that love athletics we can organize running sessions close to the Agioi Apostoloi Beach
- We have arranged for Thursday Afternoon-and after the lecture sessions- a space for us in the most popular beach bar of Chania; get ready!!
- There is going to be a farewell dinner on Saturday offered by the organizing committee to the students. The venue will be announced during the IC
- For the academics a dinner will be offered on Wednesday night. Details will be announced during the IC
- Every day there is going to be an announcement board with the proposed Cultural – Beyond the lecture room activities
What do bring with you
- Your student ID in order to have discounts in the transportation and entrances in museums and sight seeings
- Athletic shoes with socks in order to cross the Samaria Gorge
- Swimming wears
- Creams for mosquitos
- Your labotop or tablet
- Your camera
- Your nice & good mood!!!
Participants Students List
To find out the participant students list please click here
- In any case contact Dr Petridis (email@example.com), tel: +306932250964 (use Whats up)
- In case of emergency (health issues) please contact 166
- In case of emergency (security issues) please contact 100
See you soon Prof. Kaliakatsos, Dr Petridis and the local student squad!!